Ridghaus shares about relinquishing a son at age 19, and then moving ahead to age 35, he is surprised to learn he too is adopted. We discuss the crisis of identity caused by late discovery and how he managed to establish and ground himself during a two-year healing period. Ridghaus also shares an intimate conversation between himself and his son, processing adoption loss and what he would do if he could go back in time.
This is part one of the two-part premiere of season 3! Next week we meet Derek Frank. Derek and Ridghaus are the creators of the Six Word Adoption Memoir Project.
- Relinquishing a son at age 19
- Late discovery adoptee at age 35
- Adoptees Come of Age: Living Within Two Families by Ronald J. Nydam
- Two years of intense rebuilding
- Four things that have grounded Ridghaus:
- His adoptee tribe (Cathy Koley - trauma sensitive yoga trainer)
- Honest relationship with his kids
- Spiritual formation exercises (rest, meditation, fasting, observing Sabbath with his kids)
- Body therapist: breathing exercises, processing trauma
- Poet Nayyirah Waheed
- Kristen Garaffo with music on Spotify and iTunes
- Watch for these next week in part two!
Connect With Us
- Our Guest: Ridghaus on Facebook - Six Word Adoption Memoir Project
- Our Host: @haleyradke
- Adoptees On: Twitter, Instagram, or our Facebook Page
- Send us a message or record a voicemail