A bonus episode featuring Lesli A. Johnson, MFT where we speak about surviving the holidays as an adoptee. Lesli coaches us through some situations where we may feel triggered, and shares some practical steps we can take to practice mindfulness and self care.
Topics We Discussed
- Surviving the holidays as an adoptee
- Holiday triggers
- Being with one family when you'd rather be with another
- Ghost Kingdom (Betty Jean Lifton) - wondering/fantasizing about biological family
- Be aware of the triggers and practice nurturing and self care
- Adoptive family should be talking about the grief and loss that the adoptee may feel
- What do I do at dinner when there's an inappropriate comment?
- Permission to excuse yourself from the table
- Realizing we don't have to "go along" with things that make us uncomfortable
- How do I enjoy where I am, and stop wishing I was somewhere else?
- Practicing mindfulness, noticing your feelings and then bringing yourself back to what's around you: the table, the conversation, focusing in on the food or decorations
- How do we talk to our adoptive family about our bio family, and vice versa?
- As an adult we need to take care of ourselves, we're not responsible for the other adults' reactions/responses/feelings
- W.I.S.E. Up When someone asks a question we can choose to: Walk away, Ignore, Share your Story, Educate
Connect With Us
- Lesli A. Johnson, MFT: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | leslijohnson.com | asktheadoptee.com
- Haley Radke: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- Adoptees On: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook