Topics We Discussed
- Surviving the holidays as an adoptee
- Holiday triggers
- Being with one family when you'd rather be with another
- Ghost Kingdom (Betty Jean Lifton) - wondering/fantasizing about biological family
- Be aware of the triggers and practice nurturing and self care
- Adoptive family should be talking about the grief and loss that the adoptee may feel
- What do I do at dinner when there's an inappropriate comment?
- Permission to excuse yourself from the table
- Realizing we don't have to "go along" with things that make us uncomfortable
- How do I enjoy where I am, and stop wishing I was somewhere else?
- Practicing mindfulness, noticing your feelings and then bringing yourself back to what's around you: the table, the conversation, focusing in on the food or decorations
- How do we talk to our adoptive family about our bio family, and vice versa?
- As an adult we need to take care of ourselves, we're not responsible for the other adults' reactions/responses/feelings
- W.I.S.E. Up When someone asks a question we can choose to: Walk away, Ignore, Share your Story, Educate