Today I talk with Holly, aka Nerdy Gal, about her reunion with her first mother and some of the instigating factors that led her out of the fog. Holly also tells us how a technique called dirty pouring has helped her process her feelings.
Topics We Discussed
- Holly was told she was adopted when she was 7 or 8, and found her birth mother’s name on a whited-out birth certificate when she held it up to the light
- There’s a period of time that Holly was kept in foster care that seemingly has no explanation to this point, this still troubles Holly and she wants to find out why.
- Calling her first mother after she moved out and building a relationship “like sisters”
- Some of the difficult things that Holly thinks pushed her out of the fog
- The incident that severed Holly’s relationship with her first mother
- What brought Holly to start “dirty pouring” which is a type of painting that she explains all about!
- Connecting to other adoptees online through the podcast (with other guests of the show) on twitter and other social media outlets
- Holly shares how she found Adoptees On
- Holly’s how-to dirty pour Video 1 and Video 2
- You can find future meet ups here!
- Holly gives us the recipe for a dirty pour: acrylic paint, a medium like Floetrol, stir sticks, plastic cups, a canvas and gloves.
- Dark Nights of the Soul: A Guide to Finding Your Way Through Life's Ordeals by Thomas Moore
Connect With Us
- Our Guest: Holly AKA Nerdy Gal all her social media links are here and blog here
- Our Host: @haleyradke
- Adoptees On: Twitter, Instagram, or our Facebook Page
- Send us a message or record a voicemail