Today we are going to look at a reunion between a mother and daughter, and how their guiding principles have helped build a strong and healthy connection over the past three years.
Topics We Discussed
- Marni’s first episode - Season 2 Episode 10 “A Model Reunion”
- Marni calls Karen, her “other mother”
- Karen shares her story as an unwed mother in the 1960s in Ohio
- How Karen had to hide her pregnancy
- Learning about the stages of grief helped Karen process what she was going through
- Marni felt guilty and disloyal to her adoptive parents when she was first exploring reunion with Karen
- Guiding Principles: 1. Immediate families come first. 2. There are no “what ifs”! 3. Celebrate the gift. 4. Celebrate today.
- Karen and Marni made a list of things they need to agree on - like holidays, how often to communicate, etc. Going through this list and discussing these things developed trust.
- We go through some tricky questions: Why do adoptive families get prioritized over biological families and is that for the best? What contributes to reunions failing?
- Marni addresses feeling vulnerable and how that can make us uncomfortable.
- Join the pop-up book club
- Janet Nordine’s blog experiencecourage.com and find her on Instagram
- Janet’s blog post “Vulnerability, Gratitude, Adoption… Oh My!”
- Brené Brown’s Ted Talk “The power of vulnerability”
- Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself by Melody Beattie
Connect With Us
- Marni Metzler Hall: Facebook
- To connect with Karen you can send Marni a message on Facebook and she’ll connect you via email
- Haley Radke: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- Adoptees On: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook