Meet Laura Callen, the founder of the Adoption Museum Project. Laura gives the most vivid recounting of a triggering situation that only another adopted person could understand and we talk about that really simple topic of dignity and justice in adoption. With our theme of healing through creativity, Laura explains some of the different experimental ways she and her team are exploring the topic of adoption through arts and culture.
Topics We Discussed
- Laura’s adoption started with two weeks in foster care, she has a letter from her foster mother about that period of time
- She was told she was adopted when she was five, and then it was just not discussed any further
- Laura shares how she discovered adoption had an impact on her life
- From a beautifully detailed story about a trigger that happened recently in Laura’s life, to explaining how therapy, a diagnosis of dysthymia and working on the Adoption Museum Project has helped in her healing journey.
- What does dignity and justice look like in adoption for all parties?
- What are the ways arts and culture can help us and the public understand more about adoption
- Upcoming Adoption Museum Project Events: Conjuring Other Ways Home: Writing on Black Adoption in partnership with Keno Evo, founder of Black Table Arts
- Ellen Herman’s The Adoption History Project and the inspiration for the upcoming History Lab
- Donate to The Whole Story campaign
- Check out the hashtag #wedie on Twitter and here’s the post at The Lost Daughters introducing the hashtag
- Sign up for the Adoption Museum Project’s newsletter
- Any poem! Poetry can be incredibly valuable to opening ourselves up to new ideas and possibilities.
- Adoptee poet Marci Calabretta Cancio-Bello’s Hour of the Ox
- The Next American Revolution: Sustainable Activism for the Twenty-First Century by Grace Lee Boggs
- Rise Magazine for and by parents of children who have been taken into government care
- 35,000 Internationally adopted people are without US citizenship, visit Adoptee Rights Campaign for more information
- Video of event we chatted about Arts Advocacy: Citizenship for All Adoptees
Connect With Us
- Laura Callen: Facebook | adoptionmuseumproject.org | Email Laura(at)adoptionmuseumproject(dot)org
- Haley Radke: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- Adoptees On: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook